[Mapserver-users] OGR for Joins to .dbfs

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jul 31 12:25:03 EDT 2003

Fawcett, David wrote:

> I was thinking that if OGR can access shapefile data (shp, dbf, etc.), could it be used as the data connector to execute a one-to-many join to a .dbf file?

Actually, support for joins (independent of MapServer joins) has been
added by Frank in OGR.  So it is possible to join a shapefile, a DGN, or
whatever OGR format to a DBF on the fly using OGR's SQL language.

You should be able to find some docs at
http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/ogrhtml/ogr_sql.html but Frank's
server where the docs reside is currently down.  You could also search
the list archives since I believe this has been discussed before.  BTW,
I noticed that there is one example of join in the OGR HOWTO at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/ogr-howto.html#examples

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca