[Mapserver-users] Spatial extent for shape file?

Twan Kogels twan at twansoft.com
Wed Jun 11 07:48:38 EDT 2003

Hello,

It's been a while since i used mapserver. Yesterday i received a cdrom with
raster maps, today i'm getting it to work. The cdrom contains a lot of tiff
files which represent a tiled map. The tiff files are of format
"GTiff/GeoTIFF". I used the "gdaltindex" program to make a shp index of all
the tiles.

The cdrom also contains a esri .tfw (or mapserver .wld) and a .tab file for
every single tiff file.

I'm now making my .map file which mapserver should use, but i'm stuck at
defining the EXTENT line. I've looked for documentation about the tiff
files on cdrom but found none. The info in the .tab file is interesting:
=============================
!table
!version 300
!charset WindowsLatin1

Definition Table
File "1000047.TIF"
Type "RASTER"
(0,376000) (0,5333) Label "Pt 1",
(0,384000) (0,0) Label "Pt 2",
(12000,384000) (8000,0) Label "Pt 3",
(12000,376000) (8000,5333) Label "Pt 4"
CoordSys Earth Projection 20, 109, "m", 5.387638889, 52.156160556,
0.9999079, 155000, 463000
Units "m"
=============================

The output of the program "gdalinfo" analyzing a tiff file on cdrom is also
interesting:
=============================
gdalinfo 4000007.TIF
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Size is 1778, 1185
Coordinate System is `'
Origin = (-20.250000,384020.250000)
Pixel Size = (40.500000,-40.500000)
Metadata:
   TIFFTAG_SOFTWARE=Handmade Software, Inc. Image Alchemy v1.7.7
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (     -20.250,  384020.250)
Lower Left  (     -20.250,  336027.750)
Upper Right (   71988.750,  384020.250)
Lower Right (   71988.750,  336027.750)
Center      (   35984.250,  360024.000)
Band 1 Block=1778x8 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
Band 2 Block=1778x8 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
Band 3 Block=1778x8 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue
Band 4 Block=1778x8 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Alpha
=============================

I know the the EXTENT line in the .map file means the lower left
coordinates en the upper right coordinates, but i don't know how to get
this information in my case.

The output of gdaltinfo shows several "Corner Coordinates", but i have used
gdaltindex to make a .shp file and now i'm using that shape file as index
in my .map file:
==============================
LAYER
   NAME "test"
   STATUS ON
   TILEINDEX "test.shp"
   TILEITEM "Location"
   TYPE RASTER
END
===============================
so, this renders the gdaltinfo useless, cause the Corner Coordinates aren't
correct anymore.

The line:
CoordSys Earth Projection 20, 109, "m", 5.387638889, 52.156160556,
0.9999079, 155000, 463000
in the .tab file seems interesting, but i could not find any information
about the meaning of those numbers. Could i get the values for EXTENT from
this line? Or is there maybe a program which calculates the EXTENT or
Corner Coordinates for a given .shp file?

Best regards,
Twan Kogels