[Mapserver-users] MSAutoTest

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 5 12:26:05 EST 2003

Folks,

I have been working on an automated testing mechanism for MapServer for a few
months on and off, and populating it with tests of functionality I am
interested in ... notably GDAL related stuff and OUTPUTFORMAT support testing.
However, the mechanism is intended to be generally useful, and something that
a savvy end user could run and extend.

Things seem to be working reasonably well in my protected little environment,
so I thought I should document how it works a bit, and push it out to other
folks interested in running and improving regression tests.

The topic is now setup in the Wiki at:

   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MSAutoTest

I would encourage sophisticated MapServer 3.7 users and any developers to
check it out of CVS and try running it.  I am open to feedback to streamline
it's operation, and anyone with commit access is encourage to add tests.
Those without commit access can email new test maps to me to add.

PS. While not intended as general examples, the autotest suite can be a useful
source of working examples of esoteric options, such as new processing
directives, outputformat stuff, and the brand new OGR JOIN support.

Best regards,