[Mapserver-users] Help Request

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Mar 5 17:33:19 EST 2003

Kieran -

MapServer is perfectly capable of handling data in different projections
and referenced to different datums.  I do it every day.

Do you have PROJ installed with datum shift support?

There's no such thing as "NAD27 Aware".  Each data set is expressed
relative to a particular datum, and it has no ability or need to know
about any other datum.  MapServer, using the PROJ library, can handle
all that.

If you "unproject" NAD27 data to NAD27 decimal degrees, and unproject
NAD83 data to decimal degrees, they WILL NOT line up.  That is expected
and correct behavior.

If the NAD27 data correctly line up with your streets (in either
projected or unprojected form) then you seem to have NAD27 street data.

There are two steps to this process.  Step 1 - Make sure you have
MapServer set up properly, with PROJ installed with datum-shift data
files, and Step 2 - Make sure you accurately represent the source
projection and datum of our data files.  If those two steps are done
correctly, everything will work.

I am a little concerned that you will end up whacking the data with a
hammer to make it fit, and end up with a self-consistent but incorrect
map display!

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: (978) 251-4242  Fax: (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com