[Mapserver-users] tiffs and 256 colors

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Thu Mar 6 16:01:11 EST 2003

Ok, I found the problem.  The Imagemagick 'convert' command is not
actually reducing the color depth of my grayscale tiff image (see
below...note file sizes).  Lowell also confirmed this.  I'm a bit
surprised that convert can't do this, but maybe there's a good reason
for it?

Anyway, I used Irfanview to reduce the color depth of the grayscale
hillshade tiff, and it worked great.  Now I can display the colored DRG
tiff on top of the hillshade using 8-bit output, no problem.

Thanks Lowell and Ed for your replies.

Dylan

#> convert -colors 64 hs256.tif hs64.tif
convert: unknown field with tag 34735 (0x87af) ignored. (hs256.tif).

#> identify hs256.tif
identify: unknown field with tag 34735 (0x87af) ignored. (hs256.tif).
hs256.tif TIFF 1942x1421 PseudoClass 256c 8-bit 2698kb 0.0u 0:01

#> identify hs64.tif
hs64.tif TIFF 1942x1421 PseudoClass 256c 8-bit 2697kb 0.0u 0:01

#> identify hs64_irfan.tif
hs64_irfan.tif TIFF 1942x1421 PseudoClass 256c 8-bit 1101kb 0.1u 0:01