[Mapserver-users] Reading DBF files with PHP dbase extension?

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Mar 7 21:27:25 EST 2003

Many thanks to those the responded.

So, here is an update on what I found.

It seems like the first dbf file or two that I tried to read using
the php dbase extension may have some kind of problem. Using the code
below I was able to read other dbf files without a problem and use
dbase_get_record_with_names().

It is not clear why I had problems with the first two files as they
seem fine when using dbfdump (the C program that came with shapelib)
and they work fine otherwise with mapserver, and they work fine with
the Perl Xbase.pm module. This problem is still a small mystery that
will have to wait.

So back to the original project ...

-Steve W.

On 7 Mar 2003 at 8:07, woodbri at swoodbridge.com wrote:

> OK, this is getting a little bit off topic, but I am trying to do a
> query then fetch attributes from the DBF using the PHP dbase
> extension.
>
> I'm using older versions of PHP-4.2.2 it test this on with code like:
>
> <?php
> ### try to read a dbf file
>
> $dbh = @ dbase_open('/data/mdata/us/us_pop2k.dbf', READ_ONLY) or
>     die("Could not open '/data/mdata/nhpn.dbf' for read.");
>
> $num_fields = dbase_numfields ($dbh);
> $num_rows   = dbase_numrecords($dbh);
>
> print "<br>num_fields = $num_fields\n";
> print "<br>num_rows   = $num_rows\n";
>
> print   "<pre>";

    $rr = dbase_get_record_with_names($dbh, 1);
    for (reset($rr); $k = key($rr); next($rr)) {
        print "$k = ".$rr[$k]."\n";
    }