[Mapserver-users] will size of shp effect mapserver performance

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Mar 8 23:05:10 EST 2003

Chen,

The answer is not so simple as bigger is slower, but there is a basic
truth there. If you set up things correctly the performance has more
to do with the number of objects the need to be drawn rather than the
number of objects in the shapefile.

You can create spatial indexes for shape files that allows mapserver
to only look at objects the might be needed to draw the map so it
does not need to read all the objects in the shapefile to figure that
out. It has lots of other tricks that make it very fast, but it does
require some investment in time to learn how to do things
efficiently. The list is also a good place to ask questions if you
get stuck.

Many of us have multiple GBs and even TB of data being server by
mapserver via web applications and every view is quick and painless.
But you can also create terrible applications that are painfully slow
if you don't know how to structure you data, indexes and mapfile.

Hope this helps,
  -Steve W.