[Mapserver-users] GPS tracks and handmade drawings

Lars Schylberg lars.schylberg at sssk.se
Sun Mar 9 16:24:57 EST 2003

Thanks to the good help I got from this list, I now have
Mapserver up and running on our server with the php-gmap-demo
and some of our own mapdata .

I am planning to use Mapserver on our longdistance iceskating
clubs webserver to serve maps showing trips we have made.
We are using mostly php and mysql on our server.

My first question is if someone have some example code
how to upload gps tracks and have them shown via Mapserver.
My intension is to let members upload gps tracks where they
have been skating during the day and be able to share them
with other users. I guess I will have to use postgis for the actual
storage.

Secondly I would like that members could make their own simple
drawings. I wonder if someone has made something like this.
It would be good if it could be based on javascript and maybe
dhtml. I think we should avoid java since we can't expext
anything about our users browsers. The average user is also
between 55 and 70 years old. These simple drawings would
show weak ice areas, ice edges and other features that
people have noticed during their tours. The drawing would show
up in the Mapserver window as selectable layers, maybe from
a drop down box like in the gmap example with the predefined
areas.

We are 6 persons doing recreational php-hacking on our
site and have been doing that for the last five years.

Hope that someone has done something similar.

Lars