[Mapserver-users] SHPTREE Odd behavior

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Tue Mar 4 20:42:52 EST 2003

I suspect that this is not Shptree related but that you have "Null"
shapes in your shapefile.  Especially due to the relatively old version
or mapserver you are running.  lok for a discussion on Null shapes in
the HISTORY.TXT file

you can winnow the "Null" polygons by (I assume you have access to
arcview)
selecting for "[shape].aslist.count = 0" and deleting those records.

Arcview writes Polygons with no vertices as a shape type Null instead
of a polygon shape type.
if you still are having problems can you provide more info?.

C.

On 2003.03.04 16:04 Kieran J. Ames wrote:
> I've been experimenting with shptree and seeing remarkable performance
> boosts (on point and line shapefiles). However, I've found some odd
> behavior now with polygons. I'm rendering polygons that take quite a
> while to come up (mapserver cgi). I then use shptree and when using
> the
> web interface, get the following error message:
>
> msDrawShape(): General error message. Only polygon shapes can be drawn
> using a POLYGON layer definition.
>
> If I then delete the associated .qix files, the map again renders.
>
> I'm using mapserver
> MapServer version 3.6.3 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
> SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
> INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=OGR INPUT=SHAPEFILE
>
> SHPTREE is dated 11/01/00  09:48a  131,122 bytes
>
> ...appreciate any help.
> Kieran

Carl Anderson
carl.anderson at vadose.org

New Hampshire tells us "common sense for all"
     where can I get mine?