[Mapserver-users] MapServer Compilation Error - gcc

Leah Roderman elrod at oaktownunderground.com
Tue Mar 11 14:50:51 EST 2003

This is really just additional documentation of the unpleasant MapServer `__gxx_personality_v0' compilation error.

I had this happen too, using gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7) to install MapServer 3.6.4. There's no problem with ./compile but make results in error and abort. We found previously posted solutions on this list (search under 'compiling' and 'gcc') included changes to Makefile and a discussion around the gcc version that MapServer 3.6.x was built with. Changes to Makefile did not solve the problem, so we had to install gcc 2.95 in order to compile MapServer (don't forget to export into PATH and make clean to remove old compiled files).

This appears to be an ongoing problem, which will probably be eliminated with the next release of MapServer.

(for reference, error looks roughly like this:

gcc -O2  -Wall -DIGNORE_MISSING_DATA  -DUSE_EPPL    -DUSE_TIFF -DUSE_JPEG
-DUSE_GD_PNG -DUSE_GD_JPEG -DUSE_GD_WBMP -DUSE_GD_FT        -I/usr/include
shp2img.o  -L. -lmap -lgd -L/usr/lib -lgd -ljpeg -lttf -lpng -lz  -ltiff
-ljpeg -lttf -lpng -lz  -ljpeg          -lm   -o shp2img
./libmap.a(mapogr.o)(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to
`__gxx_personality_v0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [shp2img] Error 1

)