[Mapserver-users] limiting query results

Ryan, Adam ARyan at co.linn.or.us
Thu Mar 13 14:02:19 EST 2003

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2E993.123B84B0

Dear List,

I'm resending this because I can't find a cgi (not mapscript) solution.

I want to limit the number of records returned by an NQUERY or and
ITEMNQUERY, or the number of times mapserv sends the layer template.  If the
user makes a box around the whole county, or searches by [STREETNAME] =~
/ST/, for example, mapserv easily and quickly renders the image, but then
spits out the layer template many thousands of times and ultimately crashes
the browser.

I can monitor the [rn] and take steps using javascript, but I can't stop
mapserv from spitting out all the instances of the template.

I can't use MAXFEATURES because that limits the number of records that are
searched, not the number returned.

Any ideas?

Adam Ryan
Linn County

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2E993.123B84B0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>limiting query results</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Dear List,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm resending this because I can't =
find a cgi (not mapscript) solution.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I want to limit the number of records =
returned by an NQUERY or and ITEMNQUERY, or the number of times mapserv =
sends the layer template.&nbsp; If the user makes a box around the =
whole county, or searches by [STREETNAME] =3D~ /ST/, for example, =
mapserv easily and quickly renders the image, but then spits out the =
layer template many thousands of times and ultimately crashes the =
browser.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I can monitor the [rn] and take steps =
using javascript, but I can't stop mapserv from spitting out all the =
instances of the template.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I can't use MAXFEATURES because that =
limits the number of records that are searched, not the number =
returned.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Any ideas?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Adam Ryan</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Linn County</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>