[Mapserver-users] RE: latitude and longitude

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Mar 14 09:41:49 EST 2003

Ryanne -

If you are working with a map in a "geographic" projection (where you assume latitude and longitude make a rectangular grid) then the longitude (east-west) is usually the X coordinate, and latitude is usually the Y coordinate.  There's no reason you couldn't turn the Earth so the equator was a vertical line up the middle of your map, but people just don't seem to do it that way.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.