[Mapserver-users] problems | postgis

Leah Roderman elrod at oaktownunderground.com
Fri Mar 14 23:38:16 EST 2003

(was problems | postgis, projection, extent)

I'm still having a problem correctly displaying my postgis layer. Thanks to Dave @ refractions my points are now stored correctly in postgres, but I'm still not seeing query results in my map output.

I am running MapServer 3.6.4 (OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE) on RedHat8.0 using PostGIS 0.7.4 and Postgres 7.3.2.

I successfully ran the demo and proceeded to create my own mapfile using data from CaSIL. The map was visible, I could identify county and water polygons. Then I introduced a layer with connectiontype postgis, which led to a round of debugging and testing to confirm that the db is indeed being connected to.

The PostGIS layer produces a single dot (roughly in middle of box) in response to any query that I create using filter and expression. I can change the color and size of the output symbol, but does not move regardless of what coords are returned. If I grab the query mapserv generates to postgres and run it from psql, 424 records are returned. Regardless, all I see is the dot (can be viewed via option #1 at http://www.kinakuta.com/geoenergy/geo_init.html). Note: if I adjust the query to one that returns 0 records, the dot disappears.

As additional info, I'm calling mapserv from an apache virtual host. Any tips on mapserver postgis relationship and debugging would be most helpful. It's as if mapserver doesn't know what to do with the data being returned by postgis. Perhaps a lib? Permissions?

Thanks.

Here's my layer:

LAYER
 CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
 NAME "PLANTS"
 CONNECTION "user=myuser dbname=mydb"
 DATA "mat_coord from addr_match"
 STATUS DEFAULT
 TYPE POINT
 FILTER "address_id >= 10500"
 CLASS
   EXPRESSION ([address_id] < 15000)
   SYMBOL "circle"
   COLOR 0 0 0
   SIZE 30
 END # class
 CLASS
   EXPRESSION ([address_id] >= 15000)
   SYMBOL "circle"
   COLOR 255 1 3
   SIZE 60
 END # class

END # layer

p.s. previous projection problem is a result of mapserv call to proj not able to access epsg file...