AW: [Mapserver-users] RE: latitude and longitude

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Mon Mar 17 03:40:18 EST 2003

Hi,
this contribution is just (hopefully helpful) background noise about
coordinate communication:

In Germany we often have a problem of mixing up x and y coordinates between
the-common-GIS-hacker and survey engineers. Survey engineers use the writing
notation (y, x) to code coordinates which tends to be rather confusion for
us "normal" GIS hackers.
Therefore if we (dare to) talk to survey engineers we usually say
"Rechtswert", which could be translated into "right value". What we mean is
"easting", "x" or "Längendgrad" (longitude).
We say "Hochwert" which translates into "up-value" and what we mean is
"northing" or "y" or "Breitengrad" (latitude).
Another problem is that (x, y) coordinates are commonly mixed up by german
talking when a "Latitude" or "Longitude" is requested. We are not used to
these terms in day to day work.
It is a very common potential error for any european reading english
documentation and trying to implement demo data or getting anything to run.

At least most of us around here use "north" as the top for our maps, no
misunderstanding there...

Cheers,
Arnulf