AW: [Mapserver-users] RE: latitude and longitude

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Mar 17 09:29:09 EST 2003

One significant source of confusion in the USA in this area is in the
terminology.  When one is discussing plain surveying, one uses Y,X by
convention, but there is little confusion.  We actually use the terms
'Northing' and 'Easting' to discuss offsets from a reference point.  The
main confusion then is in terms of units of measure: feet vs meters.  Of
course, once one gets past the initial question of N v W and Lat v Lon,
one comes back to the myriad projection possibilities.  If I'm using UTM
Zone 15 North, I can easily have a set of coordinates that, if
unreferenced, look a lot like UTM-2-N, but are half a world away.

And this discussion completely ignores the possible confusion arising
from an Earth Reference Frame discussion of 3-axis cartesion
coordinates, and similarly ignores datum and ellipsoid considerations.

So: What's the answer?  *Metadata*.  If Metadata is maintained and
transmitted as an essential element of all spatial records, we have a
chance of diminishing the confusion.

Gerry