[Mapserver-users] mask

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Mar 17 08:22:12 EST 2003

John Hagstrand wrote:

> Does MapServer have the concept of masking?  I want to mask one layer with
> another.
>
> Specifically, I have world map vector data, with land mass polygons in one
> layer, and political boundaries in another layer.  The political polygons
> need to be masked by the land mass polygons so they don't extend out into
> the oceans.  I hope I've been clear.

I'm not sure to understand why you need to mask the political polygons
in this case, but I don't need to understand anyway.

MapServer doesn't support mask layers directly, but we've done this a
few times in PHP MapScript, see the following post from the archives:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0301/msg00395.html

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca