AW: [Mapserver-users] Map broker?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Mon Mar 17 09:25:49 EST 2003

Hi,
use shptree to create indexes, then it should be fast enough.
If that is still not fast enough, then you have to get your project
modified. Add thinned & generalized layers at higher zoomlevels and use
logical zoom limits for the base maps.
There currently is no map server around we would know of which is faster
than UMN MapServer and we have tested quite a few! We are using it with
several customers each between 3 to 10 GB of shape and its OK. Could be
faster, yes / but its better than all the rest.

Never expect any data crammed map server to be able to answer more than 1 or
2 requests per second because of the sheer amount of data. Some of our very
heavy projects need ut to 5 s per request. The users will tolerate that if
you can explain them that the quality and amount of data is good. It is a
completely different world to what standard web servers do.

Regards, Arnulf.