[Mapserver-users] Map broker?

Lars V. Nielsen LVN at hvm.dk
Mon Mar 17 09:08:24 EST 2003

Hi K,

I've used MapXtreme too, and thus used the MapXbroker handler.

I don't think a broker is needed with Mapserver. Contrary to MapX, Mapserver
loads (and renders) quite fast, usually within a couple of seconds. A "broker"
is only necessary when the mapping component is large (and slow) to load, and
MapX is rather large.

On top of that, I don't think Mapserver is suited for pooling and re-use. Its
architecture is streamlined to a load-execute-drop method, and I would expect
severe problem when running it multiple times serving different requests. But
that's just my impression....

I've used Mapserver with large datasets, vector as well as raster, and only
experienced slugginess with vector when using "Styleitem Auto" with MapInfo
tables. But with shape files that's not a problem.

Mvh

Lars V. Nielsen

Hvenegaard & Meklenborg, Odense

http://www.hvm.dk