[Mapserver-users] Filtering a shape file using a list of record keys

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Mar 19 14:37:27 EST 2003

There's no built-in limit to expression length, but I bet bison has one
built in. Don't know if you're using it or not but there is an "IN"
operator that allows you to compare one value to a list of values.

As for workarounds, depends on how you're building the list of keys.
Cached queries might be one way. When true dynamic join support hits
with 3.7 that may work as well, but it's not working yet...

Steve

>>> JamesP at esdm.co.uk 03/13/03 06:33PM >>>
Hi,

What is the best way to filter a shape file using a list of record
keys.

Presumably I can build up a string in CLASS EXPRESSION - but if I am
selecting a lot of objects, this could get quite a lengthy string - is
there a limit to the number of characters that this will take ?

Is there a better way of doing this - e.g. joining in a dbf file
containing the list of keys ?

Many thanks in advance

James Perrins