[Mapserver-users] Re: filter with shp

John Hagstrand john.hagstrand at interageresearch.com
Thu Mar 20 20:43:47 EST 2003

Hi Jan,

Thank you very much.  I've got it working now.  Excellent. (I see I should
have been able to figure it out from the documentation.)

Thanks
John
-------------------------

John,
As Steve says, you don't need FILTER to select from shapfiles. Just
define a CLASS like:
CLASS
EXPRESSION "([TIMEBEG] < 1500 AND [TIMEEND] >= 1500)"
END

Take care of the syntax! Quoting from the MapFile reference (under CLASS
/ EXPRESSION):
 > Logical expressions allow you to build fairly complex tests based on
 > one or more attributes and therefore are only available with
 > shapefiles. Logical expressions are delimited by parentheses
 > "(expression)". Attribute names are delimited by square brackets
 > "[ATTRIBUTE]". These names are case sensitive and must match the items
 > in the shapefile. For example: EXPRESSION ([POPULATION] > 50000 AND
 > '[LANGUAGE]' eq 'FRENCH') ... The following logical operators are
 > supported : =,>,<,<=,>=,=,or,and,lt,gt,ge,le,eq. As you might expect
 > this level of complexity is slower to process.

On your second question: you can specify an expression dynamically in
the calling URL:
http://.../mapserv?map=my.map&layer=...&map_layer_0_class_0.expression="{...)"
See the end of the MapFile reference for this very powerful mechanism.
BTW I'm not sure if the FILTER statement works as specified in the CVS
version of MapServer. I tried the following on a world-map:
FILTERITEM name
FILTER France
and got a map of France. However
FILTER "name='France'"
gave back the whole world. I tried various permutations of quotes,
brackets and capitals, but always got back the whole world. Am I missing
something?
Jan