[Mapserver-users] generation of class colors and optimizing large shapefile access

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Mar 21 12:37:05 EST 2003

Charlton -

Thanks for a well-articulated question!

You should focus on two MapServer tools for performance - TILEINDEX and SHPTREE spatial indexes.

The SHPTREE tool generates a spatial index for a shapefile.  Put simply, it acts analogously to a database index; it allows MapServer to perform spatial selection on a shapefile without having to do a linear scan of all the objects in the shapefile.  Use SHPTREE so that when you're drawing a portion of the NC coast, MapServer can quickly inspect only those objects inside a given shapefile that have a chance of being visible on the output image.

Remember, too, that each shapefile reports the extents of all the objects in the shapefile, so MapServer can quickly reject an entire shapefile if none of the objects in it will be drawn.

However (moving up a level), opening and checking a number of shapefiles to determine they're not needed takes time.  That's where the TILEINDEX comes in, created by the TILE4MS tool.  This tool takes a list of input shapefile names and creates a NEW shapefile (which can also be indexed with SHPTREE) that contains a rectangle for each input shapefile, showing its extent.  By opening the TILEINDEX file, MapServer can quickly ignore whole shapefiles that can't possibly show up on the map, and by using the SHPTREE index for the files it does open, it can quickly ignore those objects in the file that can't possibly show up on the map.

All of this is independent of scale.  You should certainly set appropriate MINSCALE and MAXSCALE values for each of these data layers.  If you zoom out to display all of NC and SC on one map, and your MAP file is set up to display every object in every layer, performance will be awful and the map illegible.  Remember that all this indexing allows MapServer to quickly discard objects that don't need to be drawn; if you compel everything to be drawn ANYWAY, the indexing won't help.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.