[Mapserver-users] Re: Mac OS X Apache Install Question.

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Mon Mar 24 13:24:47 EST 2003

--- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, "Justin Fielke" <jfielke at m...>
wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have mapserver running successfully on my ibook (OS X 10.2).

good.

> However I am have a problem uploading my compile of
> mapserver to a mac os x based web hosting company
> (running Mac OS X server 10.2).

compilations are dependent on the machines they were compiled on.
Unless you statically link all the libraries, you generally can't just
up and move a binary to another machine and hope it will work. It
won't. However, I have managed to take a binary compiled on one MacOS
X machine and put it and make it work on another MacOS X machine. It
has worked for me in the past.

>  The adminstrator said that mapserv should execute but
> when you try using the correct url it just wants to
> dowload mapserv as a text file.

so, it seems the execute bit on mapserv binary is not set. And/or the
cgi-bin directory (or whatever directory mapserv is in) doesn't have
the necessary permissions set for Apache to execute the binary. Check
the settings in Apache httpd.conf.

> Also do any libraries etc need to be installed on the
> mac os x server being used as a host.

see note above.

> The administrator of the web hosting company tried
> renaming mapserv to mapserv.cgi  to attempt to run

that will not do anything at all... I am surprised the admin tried
that... any unix admin should know that that would do nothing at all.

> Internal Server Error
> The server encountered an internal error or
> misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

The key is to determine what that error is... you (or the admin) can
do that by looking at the error_log generated by Apache. That is the
only thing that will give you a clue about what is going wrong.

> In compiling mapserver I have used fink to install some
> of the supporting libraries.  Is this going to cause a
> problem taking mapserv to another machine etc.

a lot of users have had a great amount of luck with fink. I have not.
Since Mapserver is fairly standard in its dependencies, I have found
it more straightforward to compile it all myself so I know what is
going on. Fink hides all this complexity, but therein lies a problem
for someone trying to troubleshoot... you know something is wrong, but
you have no idea what or where it is. Also, keep in mind, fink users
have had problems with perl upgrades (if you need that).

If you want to compile mapserv on MacOS X, check the wiki. There are
great instructions there compiled by Bill Wheaton.