[Mapserver-users] ArcExplorer 4.0.1 and Mapserver WMS - Wiki page

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Tue Mar 25 18:31:39 EST 2003

Hi Thomas,

To be honest, I am really confused about what you are trying here :)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Thomas Bartlett wrote:

>1.  Mapserver will display "WARNINGS" in the XML if it is incorrectly
>formatted (I deliberately introduced an error to test this). The
>Capatibilities XML file that I am trying to use contains no warning!!

Do you mean ArcExplorer will produce errors?  Or are you saying that
Mapserver is producing debug statements in the XML output saying that you
need more METADATA entries in your .map file?

>2.  GetMap works but doesn't check for WMS compliance, rather it just checks
>if the non-WMS tags in the map file are correct.

>3.  The header for the XML document seems to work fine.  I tried adding echo
>"<h1>hello world</h1>"; then viewing the document in a web browser.  The
>result is Hello World, then the expected error message similar to:
>
>Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output
>started at http://localhost/fawkner_mapserv/wms.php:2) in
>http://localhost/fawkner_mapserv/wms.php on line 3

This is a problem.  Are you certain that your php header() call is the
first thing that is in your .php file?   If you have an empty line, then
that will constitute output and you can't resend headers...

>I have tried logging all message in ArcExplorer.  I get a heap of errors /
>warnings but I nothing that I can understand ??

Perhaps someone on the list can or I can.  Please gzip/zip and attach :)
I believe your problem is #3 though...

Good luck,
  Daryl