[Mapserver-users] dynamic mapfiles for many layers

Matt Doggett mdoggett at coas.oregonstate.edu
Mon Mar 31 12:52:59 EST 2003

I currently have a prototype Web app running using ASP and Javascript to
connect to ESRI's ArcIMS to serve up maps.  I am in the process of
converting this app to using MapServer.  Here's the rub.my application
has nearly 500 raster layers that are available for viewing.  The
ASP/Javascript provide the dynamic ability for the user to select which
raster the IMS should be rendering.  I noticed that MapServer has a
limit of 50 layers in the mapfile, though this can easily be changed by
recompiling the code.  But I'm thinking that there's probably a better,
more elegant way to make these hundreds of rasters available without
having hundreds of LAYER objects in a single mapfile.  So, I come to my
question.is there a way to generate a "dynamic" mapfile that can be
adjusted on the fly?  Or perhaps, the PHP/mapscript is the solution?
I'm not sure.  Since I'm pretty new to mapserver, I thought I would toss
this out to y'all and see what kind of responses I'd get.

Thanks

md

Matt Doggett
Spatial Climate Analysis Service