[Mapserver-users] MapServer 3.5: Error Message

McNeil, Todd W. TMCNEIL TMCNEIL at arinc.com
Thu Oct 2 11:31:22 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I'm new to this list and new to using MapServer, but I was hoping to learn
about it and possibly use it.  I'm a GIS user, specifically with ESRI and
MapInfo products and have used ArcIMS a little.  Someone pointed me to
MapServer because it willl use shapefiles natively to create maps and it's
free.  I downloaded version 3.5 and installed it using the instructions.
Everything seems to be working so far.  I've tested the CGI executable using
the instructions:  http://localhost/scripts/mapserv.exe
<http://localhost/scripts/mapserv.exe>  (localhost is not actually my
machine name) and get this message:
No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING not set.

I also downloaded the Tutorial and have come across an error message that
does not make sense to me. I am going through the 1st example of section 1
of the tutorial.  I use this URL to retrieve a map image:
http://tmcneil1/Scripts/mapserv.exe?map=e:/projects/tutorial35/s1/s1ex1.map&
amp;mode=map
<http://tmcneil1/Scripts/mapserv.exe?map=e:/projects/tutorial35/s1/s1ex1.map
&amp;mode=map>  , and the resulting error message is:
mapserv(): Web application error. No template provided.
I'm not sure what's going on or if I am just plain missing something.  I
have read that there are three files that I don't have, the application
initialization html file (demo_init.html), the map file (demo.map), and the
main html template file (demo.html).  Where can I find these and will it
make my MapServer work?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Todd McNeil
ARINC
Annapolis, MD