[Mapserver-users] WMS Cllient for ArcView 3.X

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Oct 7 16:04:17 EDT 2003

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> great software!

Hi Bart, Thanks!

> I have a few questions about it:
>
> * which WMS versions are supported?

We are trying to support them all. In terms of version strings, we
support 1.0, 1.1.0, 1.1.1.

> * are there plans to support GetFeatureInfo (i-tool)?

Yes. Don't know whether that is a Pro or regular feature. Probably
regular. Will be interesting to see how good (and standard) the GML
query response support is for various servers :/

> * do you have any idea what will be the release dates for the free and
> the pro version and what would approximately be the cost of the pro
> version?

We would like to do final release of the standard version in a couple
weeks. That should give us some time to kill bugs (come on beta
testers!) and add on whatever other functionality makes sense.

We have not decided on cost for the Pro version (overlays, transparency,
config tool, printing support, ArcIMS support, etc etc). We are trying
to figure out the approximate market size and demand. Given the cost
conciousness of the ArcView user population, it might be a challenge
just to make back development costs. In general though my answer would
be "somewhere in 3 figures". (Anyone with software budget who can
quantify for me what they think such a thing is "worth", I would
appreciate a private email.  The irony of the extension market place is
that ESRI sells theirs for $3000CA and everyone else is lucky to get
$300CA :)

> I guess this won't be released as open source in the future :-) ?

Well, the future is a big place, but not in the immediate future.

Paul

--
       __
      /