[Mapserver-users] WMS Cllient for ArcView 3.X

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Oct 8 10:47:43 EDT 2003

snelson at refractions.net wrote:
> The layers are appended to the query in the same order they appear in the OGC
> file  For example, if the OGC file contains this:
> <layer_list>
>    <layer>Bathymetry</layer>
>    <layer>Roads</layer>
>    <layer>Rivers</layer>
> </layer_list>
>
> Then the query sent to the WMS server will look like this:
>
>   http://www.geographynetwork.ca/servlet/com.esri.wms.Esrimap? ...
>   &Layers=Bathymetry,Roads,Rivers&Styles=&Request=getmap ...
>
> I'm not certain what order the map server will choose to render the layers.

The spec says that WMS servers should render the layers in the order in
which they are listed in the LAYERS parameter.

Older versions of MapServer's WMS interface used to ignore the order of
the LAYERS param and used the default mapfile order instead.  This is
fixed now and version 4.0 follows the order specified by the client
(this may have been fixed in 3.6 as well I don't remember).

  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca