[Mapserver-users] WMS Cllient for ArcView 3.X

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Oct 8 11:11:36 EDT 2003

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> This brings up an unrelated but important issue:
> Mapserver when running in WMS mode should always report its errors in
> the proper OpenGIS XML format. I wonder why we got an error in
> text/html? Shane, are we always requesting our errors in XML, or are we
> just taking whatever the server provides us?

MapServer should return the exceptions in the requested format unless
the error happens *before* it enters the WMS dispatch code.  The only
type of exception that could happen before that point would be mapfile
parsing errors, but this is really a non-issue since your mapfile should
be valid before you deploy a WMS server instance.

All other exceptions should be returned in the requested format, either
XML or INIMAGE, if you have a reproduceable test case where the
exception format is not respected by MapServer 4.x then please file a
bug with all the details.

Thanks

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca