[Mapserver-users] Help with ArcSDE Layer Connection/Data specification

Pryor, Clayton J CJPRYOR at sandia.gov
Wed Oct 8 13:14:22 EDT 2003

I am struggling with getting my connection and data specifications right for
an ArcSDE (Oracle database) layer that I am trying to bring into my
MapServer application.

Here is the relevant data and code:

Relevant demo_init contents:

	<form method=GET action="/cgi-bin/mapserv">
	<input type="hidden" name="map"
value="/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/demoSNL/demo.map>
	<input type="hidden" name="layer" value="nercsbrgnstatus">
	<input type="hidden" name="program" value="/cgi-bin/mapserv">
	<input type="hidden" name="map_web_imagepath"
value="/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/tmp/">
	<input type="hidden" name="map_web_imageurl" value="/tmp/">

ArcSDE server information (per our ArcSDE/Oracle database manager):

	host name:  orca-wks-1
	instance name: port:5151
	database name: insistdb

ArcSDE database Structure (per ArcCatalog):

	Database Connections
	  |-Connection to orca-wks-1
	      |-SDE.NorthAmerica
	          |-SDE.nercSubRegions

Map File Connection Definition:

	NAME nercsbrgnstatus
	CONNECTION "orca-wks-1,port:5151,insistdb,userid,userpwd"
	CONNECTIONTYPE sde

Map File Data definitions and the results:

	Definition 1:
		DATA "SDE.nercSubRegions,shape"
	Definition 1 Result:
		Internal Server Error: (from apache web server log)
"Premature end of script headers: mapserv, referer:
http://.../demoSNL/demo_init.html"
	Definition 1 Comments:
		I understand that this error indicates that the mapserv
application ended in an error condition that was not passed back to the
caller.

	Definition 2:
		DATA "insistdb.SDE.nercSubRegions,shape"
	Definition 2 Result:
		Web page result:  "MapServer Message  msDrawMap():Image
handling error.  Failed to draw layer named 'nercsubrgnstatus'.
msSDELayerOpen(): SDE error.  SE_layer_get_infor(): Layer not found. (-20)"
	Definition 2 Comments:
		Searching the mapserver-users archives and the web turned up
little help for these messages.  The closest I found was similar, but not
the same.  It was an Oracle Spatial error that was apparently due to no
spatial index being created for the shape column.

General Comment:

	Since the Connection information has been confirmed to be correct by
my ArcSDE/Oracle expert, my guess is that I am not correctly specifying the
layer.  Trying different layer naming options generates either the error in
Definition 1 or the error in Definition 2.

Any suggestions from you the members of the mapserver-users community as to
how to proceed with this?  Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Clay Pryor

   Clayton J. Pryor	phone	(505) 845-3557
   Sandia National Laboratories
   Critical Infrastructure Surety 	fax	(505) 844-9641
   PO Box 5800 MS 0451
   Albuquerque NM 87185-0451	email	cjpryor at sandia.gov