[Mapserver-users] newbie: problem displaying raster

Emilio Mayorga emiliom at u.washington.edu
Thu Oct 16 04:06:32 EDT 2003

Hi,

I installed Mapserver 4.0 only a few days ago (RedHat 8, Apache 2), and
I'm working through the Tutorial
(http://terrasip.gis.umn.edu/projects/tutorial/) to learn how to use
Mapserver and also to test my installation. This is my configuration
(mapserv -v): MapServer version 4.0 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER INPUT=TIFF
INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

I got the first four examples to work, but I'm stumped with the raster
example. I get this server error:
Error message: Premature end of script headers: mapserv40

I found a previous message that reccomended running mapserver at the
command line with gdb to see what the debugger says. At the command line
without gdb, like this:
./mapserv40
"QUERY_STRING=map=/var/www/html/emilio/mapserv/tutorial/example1-5.map&mode=map"
I get a Segmentation fault.
With gdb, here's what I get:
[emilio at basin cgi-bin]$ gdb mapserv40
(gdb) run
"QUERY_STRING=map=/var/www/html/emilio/mapserv/tutorial/example1-5.map&mode=map"
Starting program: /var/www/cgi-bin/mapserv40
"QUERY_STRING=map=/var/www/html/emilio/mapserv/tutorial/example1-5.map&mode=map"
[New Thread 8192 (LWP 6671)]

[Switching to Thread 8192 (LWP 6671)]
0x4207337b in realloc () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6

Can someone suggest what may be wrong, or what to look for? Could my
GDAL installation be screwed up?

Thanks!

-Emilio Mayorga