[Mapserver-users] OGC-compliant WMS-server deliveringdynamic layers with MS?

Frieso ter Haseborg ter-haseborg at sf-datentechnik.de
Thu Oct 16 04:39:55 EDT 2003

Hi Debbie,
Hi Tom,

>Debbie:
>I guess a true getfeatureinfo response would be either a text dump or a
>gml dump that would just list the point coordinate information?
Agreed, in my understanding of getFeatureInfo it must be a pure "dump"
in one of the following formats
"Text/plain", "Text/html" or "Gml features".

>Debbie:
>That part of the code  could easily be changed... if you do it,
>please share the code with us!
I will keep you informed of my progress and will share the parts which
are "reusable". ;-) But I think in the first extension I will limit to
the text/plain-option.

>Tom:
>GetFeatureInfo is an optional operation of an OGC WMS.  Having
>said this,
>text/html is an allowed MIME type of GetFeatureInfo when
>implemented.  Also,
>there is no standard schema to GetFeatureInfo responses, so Debbie's
>approach to the respnse is okay.
Yes it's optional, and I'm quibbling! ;-) But if I want to use a php as
a wms-server and another server uses the first one with wms-requests
(thinking of a cascading architecture) I don't think it could handle
this url. And if the html-output is formatted this way, I can't reformat
it without parsing.

Another thought: Does anybody know what my PHP must return to MS so it
could handle the output in a template-file using the text/html-option?
And is there a way to use the result-set in a template-file without
knowing the name of every feature. I'm thinking of something like:
[1]<br>[2]

instead of :
[NAME]<br>[CODE]
</hmtl>

The problem is the features returned by my dynamic-layers will have a
dynamic structure too! Or does this directly lead to using the
gml-feature-format.

Thinking about the GML-info_format: Is there any feature in MapScript or
PHP helping to get this document assembled or do I have to code this
from the scratch?

TIA,
Frieso

--