[Mapserver-users] Shapefile

Mukta Telang mukta at darya.nio.org
Fri Oct 17 06:29:30 EDT 2003

Hi,
I dont know abc of GIS ..so I have many questions.
Here is the first one:

I have a tiff image which is nothing but outline of a country.

Since I want to be able to ZOOM/PAN query the image/map .. I *felt*
CONVERTING it to shape file will help.

So I did the following:

gdaltindex india.tif

And I got india.shp, india.dbf and india.shx files which I copied to my
data directory.

Am I on the right track?

Then created a world file as follows:
2.93
0
0
6.50
65
-25
The resolution of image is 440X650 and one map unit is 5 degrees.
The starting left hand corner (x,y) is (65 degrees E, 25 degrees N).
min[x]=65 degrees East max[x]=95 degrees East
min[y]=5 degrees North max[y]= 25 degrees North

In the map configuration file I have given extent as
EXTENT 0 0 440 650

What is the next step?
What is meant by LAYER of TYPE RASTER?

Please help,