[Mapserver-users] How to convert a CSV data to shapefile

Frank Koormann frank.koormann at intevation.de
Fri Oct 17 03:58:43 EDT 2003

Hi Mario, List!

* Mario Servin <mservin at tecnoaccion.com.ar> [031016 21:23]:
> Hi Frank,
>     Are you back?. Anyway this is just to inform you that I could use
> gen2shp with success!!. Thanks a lot. A warning to other users, I could not
> use the last binary version. Only the old one ( 0.2.3 ) worked for me with
> shapelib 1.2.9. The new one asked me some libraries I do not have installed
> at my Windows.

Can you please mail me in personal mail which libraries this have been?

>     Additionally, is there any way to update a  dbf in this manner?. I mean:
> I got a .shp, .dbf and .shx files. Now I need to add some data to dbf for
> using it with Mapserver. Is it possible to make this in a simple way?.

The one thing you have to take care of is that the order of records in
the dbf file must be the same as the related shapes in the shapefile!
There is no further relation between both parts of the data. Having this
in mind you can edit the dbf potentially in any spreadsheet application,
an alternative is illustrated on

http://intevation.de/~jan/gen2shp/gen2shp.html

which applying a small filter (txt2dbf) to create a new attribute file.
As a second alternative the shapelibi-source package comes with some small
tools to deal with dbf files. These are not in the binary package for windows.

Regards,

        Frank

--
Frank Koormann                             <frank.koormann at intevation.de>