[Mapserver-users] please help about dynamic layers

Murat Isik muratisik at megatek.com.tr
Mon Oct 20 07:53:19 EDT 2003

------=_NextPart_000_0136_01C39719.E6D79310

Hello,

I am relatively new to map server. Last week I could not even get the =
mapserver to display my map files, thankfully some folks on this list =
adviced on some software and tips, and I got the server to work =
properly.
Now I am to create a new layer, a dynamic one. I am total newbei son I =
am sorry if my questions look silly:)

-I have ArcView 3.3 (got it after being adviced to do so on this mail =
list) Is it a good tool to create new layers. So far I can only use it =
to view mine. If not with which software can I create layers?

-the mapserver runs on redhat 9.0. on the same machine runs mysql in =
which has lat/longitude columns in one of its tables. on this table =
there is also 6 more columns of month, year, day, hour, minute, second. =
this is for a car tracking project. somehow car's gps data will be =
written into this database. every time this layer is refreshed from the =
web browser, this layer should go and find the latest lat/longitude =
using the time elements and use this lat/longitude to print a dot on the =
map at the appropriate spot. i have searched the web about this issue =
but did not understand much :(.  do i need php for this kind of work? i =
am running mapserver 3.6.0, installed through rpm, since it does not =
include php. my apache server also doesnot support php. so i guess, if =
needed, i will have to deal with php alot at first.

-how do i create a layer like this? what's the starting point? what do I =
need?

thanks...

have a nice day

murat isik
------=_NextPart_000_0136_01C39719.E6D79310

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am relatively new to map server. Last =
week I=20
could not even get the mapserver to display my map files, thankfully =
some folks=20
on this list adviced on some software and tips, and I got the server to =
work=20
properly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now I am to create a new layer, a =
dynamic one. I am=20
total newbei son I am sorry if my questions look silly:)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-I have ArcView 3.3 (got it after being =
adviced to=20
do so on this mail list) Is it a good tool to create new layers. So far =
I can=20
only use it to view mine. If not with which software&nbsp;can =
I&nbsp;create=20
layers?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-the mapserver runs on redhat 9.0. on =
the same=20
machine runs mysql in which has lat/longitude columns in one of its =
tables. on=20
this table there is also&nbsp;6 more columns of month, year, =
day,&nbsp;hour,=20
minute, second. this&nbsp;is for a car tracking project. somehow car's =
gps data=20
will be written&nbsp;into this database. every time this layer is =
refreshed from=20
the web browser, this layer should go and find the latest lat/longitude =
using=20
the time elements and use this lat/longitude to print a dot on the map =
at the=20
appropriate spot. i have searched the web about this issue but did not=20
understand much :(.&nbsp; do i need php for this kind of work? i am =
running=20
mapserver 3.6.0, installed through rpm, since it does not include php. =
my apache=20
server also doesnot support php. so i guess, if needed, i will have to =
deal with=20
php alot at first.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-how do i create a layer like this? =
what's the=20
starting point? what do &#304; need?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>thanks...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>have a nice day</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>murat isik</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0136_01C39719.E6D79310--