[Mapserver-users] no variable substitution with special characters?

Frieso ter Haseborg ter-haseborg at sf-datentechnik.de
Wed Oct 29 05:10:12 EST 2003

Hi,

isn't it possible to use special characters with the variable
substitution feature in mapfiles.

I've the following situtation:

In my mapfile I call a php for creating a dynamic layer:

LAYER
   NAME "wms"
   TEMPLATE test.html
   STATUS ON
   TYPE POLYGON
   CONNECTION "http://my.ip/kmvims/kmvims.php?uid=%uid%&pwd=%pwd%
   CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
   [...]

For authorization purposes I use uid and pwd parameters. Everything
works fine unless I pass a pwd consisting of special characters, i.e.
characters with a ASCII value above ASCII 127 (HEX 7F). When pwd
contains one or more characters in the ASCII-range above 127 the layer
isn't called at all.

URL-encoding doesn't solve the problem. I need characters beyond ASCII
127 since the passwords passed are encrypted and I've no influence on
the encryption. It's just a passthrough given from a
client-server-application, all I want to do is retrieve the passwords
and check them against the database.

Any ideas about this? Is it a bug or an intended limitation?

TIA,

Frieso ter Haseborg
- Software Development -