[Mapserver-users] UML class diagram of PHP/MapScript

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Oct 31 11:37:49 EST 2003

Alexander Pucher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the images. I started a draft yesterday, but came up with a
> far more complex version.
>
> What made some first problems was the distinction between classes that
> are returned by other classes (e.g. mapObj -> layerObj) and those that
> are embedded in other classes (e.g. scalebarObj is embedded in mapObj,
> i.e. is a member of mapObj)
>
>  From what I read about UML/Object-oriented concepts, the connection
> between mapObj and layerObj is an 'aggregation' (i.e. 1..* layers are
> aggregated to one map), whereas mapObj is dependent on scalebarObj (with
> the stereotype: access).
>

> You think this is correct? Is this distinction important for the UML
> concept of PHP/MapScript?

   From what I read on UML, aggregation is the correct link between map
and layers since both could exist without being associated to each
other. But I think the link should be 0..* since a map object could have
  0 layers.

  As for embedded objects like scalebar, although they could exist
without a link to a map, they do not really make sense in a general use
in mapserver (which is to draw a scalebar) without a map object. Not
also that the map does not need to have a scalebar to be exist. Not sure
to know what is the best representation, but from my limiyes
undersanding of UML, aggregational link seems to be the one that defines
best this relationship.

Later,

> Best regards,
> alex.
>
> Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:
>
>> I had a few gif graphics UMLish representing the mapserver4.0 objects
>> links. It is by no mean complete but can be a good start point.
>>  Here is a link to it :
>> http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/mapserver/dl/mapserver_40_uml.zip
>>
>> Later,
>>
>> Alexander Pucher wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for an graphical representation of the PHP/MapScript
>>> classes as a UML class diagram. Is anyone aware of something like
>>> this existing?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> alex.

Assefa Yewondwossen