[Mapserver-users] Accessing PostGIS layers via OGR in MapServer

Mike Leahy mgleahy at fes.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Apr 6 14:52:42 EDT 2004

Hello list,

I'm trying to see if I can access PostGIS layers via the OGR input type in
the MapServer 4.1 development version.  The warning message below is about
as far as I can get:

Warning: [MapServer Error]: msOGRFileOpen(): Open failed for OGR connection
`PG:dbname=educal user=Administrador host=localhost'. File not found or
unsupported format

I've tried several formats of connection strings in addition to the one in
the example above:

PG:'dbname=educal user=Administrador host=localhost'
PG:dbname=educal;user=Administrador;host=localhost
PG:dbname=educal

So far, none have worked.  I've got PostGIS 0.8 installed as well as GDAL in
CygWin, with MapServer running as CGI in IIS on WinXP.  I can run OGR
components from CygWin okay (e.g., ogr2ogr), but I just don't seem to have
any luck with it in MapServer yet.  I'm hoping it's just a problem with my
connection string.  When I connect using PostGIS directly, the connection
string "user=Administrador dbname=educal host=localhost" works fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Mike