[Mapserver-users] french characters in layer class...

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Apr 7 21:29:59 EDT 2004

Denis Lalonde wrote:

> When defining my classes for my layer in my mapfile, the classes which
> have an expression containing a "french" character (i.e. accents) do not
> show up on the map. I have to take out all accents in the dbf and change
> the expression in the class accordingly to get it to work. Any way of
> keeping the accents?

AFAIK MapServer doesn't do any character set conversions, so I would
suggest making sure that both your DBFs and the expressions in the
mapfile are written using the same character encoding.  DBFs often use
the old DOS codepages for French accents, and if you use a Windows
editor to edit your mapfile, then the accents in the mapfile are quite
likely in ISO-8859-1 encoding (the Windows default).

HTH

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca