[Mapserver-users] Atlas Amsterdam, first week running

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Thu Apr 8 06:16:55 EDT 2004

Delfos, Jacob wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> I can't seem to open the site at all. It seems to try to use port 8040.
> Is that me, or are you actually running your webserver on that port?
>
> Many offices (such as mine), have become very cautious lately, and block
> all ports except the necessary ones. This may be why other people have
> had difficulties as well.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jacob

Jacob,

That **IS** the case. I am very sorry not to have mentioned that too.
You are not the only one: another organisation that has blocked every
non-standard port is the municipality of Amsterdam! The opened it up for
this case for port 8040, but that is not to be expected for other
organisations.

I had no idea that so many sites restricted access. I based my analysis
on the web log from the actual Atlas server, which gets its requests
redirected from another server at SARA computing center. Requests that
get rejected because of port restrictions never reach my server.

The reason we organised it like this in the computing center was that
for this experimental webserver I needed full access to my web server's
  configuration files, but did not need or want root access to the whole
cluster. You need that to start a web server on port 80. I would
appreciate if people with restricted access (i.e. who don't even see the
opening page with the two angels) would drop me a mail with the name of
their organisation. It will help me to set things up here for general
access.

Thanks,

Jan

dr. J. Hartmann