[Mapserver-users] I have some landsat 7 data that I want to tile : overlap + transparency

J. Delfos delfos18 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 21:04:19 EST 2004

Stephen,

Are you trying to actually produce a printout at a resolution of 300dpi?
Because as far as I know you can't do that from a browser. A browser will
most frequently print at 96dpi. In my site, I implemented some javascript
that will zoom to a certain printing scale, for a certain pagesize. But to
do this, I have to create a map at a different size, and adjust my
extents. The printing resolution stays the same however (96dpi), it's only
the size of the print you can change. The image will not come out any
sharper from a browser. Only if you were to export your map image to an
external graphic package you might be able to get to a certain resolution.

Ed, I agree completely about the misconcept of dpi's for airial imagery.
The only way to get your imagery at a certain scale, or at a certain
resolution, is to calculate the size of a pixel, and then to either adjust
your mapsize to get a different resolution, or to adjust your map extent
to get a different scale (keeping the resolution the same).

Jacob