[Mapserver-users] Displaying x-y Datasets using PHP/Mapscript

Frieso ter Haseborg ter-haseborg at sf-datentechnik.de
Thu Feb 12 11:42:20 EST 2004

Hi,

> Is it possible...
Yes! Works great.

> but I have no idea how to do create layers or maps using
> PHP/Mapscript.

Take a look at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PHPMapScript
and http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/phpmapscript-class-guide.html.

There should be a lot of examples around.

Just a snipped to get the basic idea:
[...]
$layer =  $map->getLayerByName( "p" );       //get a point-layer defined
in the map-file
$layer->set('status', MS_ON);                //activate this layer

$pt = ms_newPointObj();                     //create a point-object
$pt->setXY( $x1, $y1 );                     //set coordinates
$pt->draw($map, $layer, $image, 0, "Pt1");  //draw the point

$pt = ms_newPointObj();                     //...and so on...
$pt->setXY( $x2, $y2 );
$pt->draw($map, $layer, $image, 0, "Pt2");

$map->drawLabelCache($image);
$image_url=$image->saveImage("");
[...]

Create a loop for the point-draw mentioned above fed with the $x, $y
coordinates from any RDBMS php can handle.

HTH,

Frieso ter Haseborg
- Software Development -

S&F Datentechnik GmbH&Co.KG