[Mapserver-users] Displaying x-y Datasets using PHP/Mapscript

Jan Vietmeier jan at vietmeier.de
Fri Feb 13 04:24:08 EST 2004

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the Help. In the meantime I am able to dynamically add
points to a layer using PHP/Mapscript, but the method suggested by Zak seems
to be the best solution for my purpose.

Now I am wading through the manual
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpatialData and
everythink is working fine including the step "Testing" ... the virtual data
file ... "using ogrinfo". The implementation into Mapserver fails with the
error Message "... [MapServer Error]: msOGRFileOpen(): Open failed for OGR
connection `D:\www\data\shapes\punktquelle.ovf'. File not found or
unsupported format ...".

In my opinion, this can have two reasons:

1. My version of ogrinfo is from the openev_fw-Program downloaded at
http://www.remotesensing.org and my mapserver-version is the binary-version
from DM Solutions (mapserver-4.0-win32-php4.3.2.zip from 26-Aug-2003). Maybe
my mapserver-version don't supports virtual layer.

How can I find out if my gdal11.dll supports the ogr-vrt format (does
gdalxx.dll contains ogr?)

2. There is someting wrong with my mapfile or punktquelle.ovf-file. Here
some code-snipps:
The virtual layer file:

<OGRVRTDataSource>
    <OGRVRTLayer name="tbl_einsatz">
        <SrcDataSource>ODBC:@myeinsatz</SrcDataSource>
 	     <SrcTable>tbl_einsatz</SrcTable>
	     <GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>
	     <GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns" x="x" y="y"/>
    </OGRVRTLayer>
</OGRVRTDataSource>

The Mapfile:

  LAYER
    NAME "MyVirtualLayer"
    TYPE POINT
    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
    CONNECTION "D:\www\polizei\data\shapes\punktquelle.ovf" # the name and
path to the virtual.ovf file, relative to shapepath may work?
    DATA "tbl_einsatz" # the name of the OGRVrtLayer
    STATUS ON
    LABELITEM "Einsatz" #may need to use table.name or just name depending
on your OVF file.
    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:31468"
    END