[Mapserver-users] Oracle Spatial extents

Dimeo, Christopher Christopher.Dimeo at maine.gov
Wed Feb 18 13:50:14 EST 2004

Vladmir-

You may want to exercise caution when re-assigning Coordinate System ID's to
your data.  Your data, presumably, are lat/long coordinates in the WGS84 (ie
SRID=8307).  They might look something like: 45.5000, -90.3000 (45.5 degrees
north, 90.3 degrees West).  This implies certain things about those
coordinates for example that the distance between them is measured on an
arc, units are angular (not linear like feet, meters, etc).

If you just 'call it' something else like UTM Zone 15, or even SRID=8199
(Arc 50, geodetic but on a different datum), you are literally moving your
coordinates.  It's like calling a red car 'blue'.  It still it what it is.

This may work for you in this case, but have caution when/if you need to do
analysis on your data or map it with other datasets.

B. Christopher Dimeo
Transportation Planning Analyst
Bureau of Planning
Maine Department of Transportation