[Mapserver-users] OGR not found in system libs...

Ray Ward ray.ward at mapfusion.com
Wed Feb 18 16:59:38 EST 2004

Ray Ward wrote:

> Yes I am running this on a 64-bit Solaris 8 (sparc) box. And yes your link
> is working for me now, I tried that configure script and it's the same as
> what I've got now from the last nightly build....any other ideas? or a way
> to test the 64-bit theory?....anything else I can provide that would be
> useful?
>

>>"can you check that you have libgdal.so somewhere and that OGR is
>
> enabled?"
>
> I'll give you some command line output that hopefully answers this...GDAL
> was installed from gdal-cvs-040217.tar
>
> # /usr/local/bin/gdal-config --ogr-enabled
> yes
> # ls /usr/local/lib | grep -i gdal
> gdal.a
> libgdal.1.1.so
> libgdal.a
> libgdal.la
> libgdal.so
> libgdal.so.1
> libgdal.so.1.1.9
> # ls /usr/local/include | grep -i gdal
> gdal.h
> gdal_alg.h
> gdal_frmts.h
> gdal_priv.h
> gdalwarper.h
> # ls /usr/local/bin | grep -i gdal
> gdal-config
> gdal_contour
> gdal_translate
> gdaladdo
> gdalinfo
> gdaltindex
> gdalwarp
>

>Well, everything looks normal except that configure doesn't see
>OGRRegisterAll in libgdal.so.
>
>Can you check in the config.log and look for the part that tests for
>OGR.  If it had passed you would have had something like this:
>
>------------
>configure:7550: checking whether we should include OGR support......
>configure:7566: checking for gdal-config
>configure:7584: found /usr/local/bin/gdal-config
>configure:7597: result: /usr/local/bin/gdal-config
>configure:7616: checking for OGRRegisterAll in -lgdal
>configure:7647: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lgdal   -lm
>-lstdc++  -L/usr/local/lib -lgdal >&5
>configure:7650: $? = 0
>configure:7653: test -s conftest
>configure:7656: $? = 0
>configure:7668: result: yes
>configure:7741: result:         OGR enabled (-L/usr/local/lib -lgdal).
>------------
>
>What do you get?  Maybe the error messages will give us a hint?  Maybe
>we're missing the "-L/usr/local/lib" for some reason in line 7647.
>
>Daniel

Eureka! config.log, I never knew such a thing existed! (big newbie mistake I
guess)...anyways here are the lines in the config.log

configure:7647: gcc -o conftest -g -O2
 conftest.c -lgdal   -lm -lstdc++  -L/usr/local/lib -lgdal >&5
ld: warning: file libpq.so.3: required by /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so, not
found

couldn't find libpq.so.3, which is located in /opt/pgsql/lib, I added this
to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and configure runs to completion! Thanks all your help,
and for sticking with this problem Daniel

Ray,