[Mapserver-users] Problem in installing Proj4 and GDAL for Linux RH Advanced Server

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 13 08:38:19 EDT 2004

Taha Al Sayed wrote:
> example1-1.map      [----]  0 L:[  1+ 0   1/ 38] *(0   / 867b)=   32 20H
>     MAP
>   PROJECTION
>     "proj=laea"
>     "ellps=clrk66"
>     "lat_0=45"
>     "lon_0=-100"
>   #
>   # Alternatively, you can specify an EPSG code.
>   #     "init=epsg:2163"
>   #
>   END
>
>   # Start of LAYER DEFINITIONS
>   LAYER # States polygon layer begins here
>     NAME         states
>     DATA         states_ugl
>     STATUS       DEFAULT
>     TYPE         POLYGON
>
>     PROJECTION
>       "init=epsg:4326"
>             END

Taha,

I see a likely problem.  You have your map projection set to be
LAEA with an ellipsoid of Clark 1866. Your polygon layer you have
marked as geographic wihth a datum of WGS84.

Until quite recently PROJ.4 could not convert between ellipsoids
without an indication of what datum shift should be used.  I thought
this was changed in PROJ 4.4.8 (which I see you are using) but perhaps
I am wrong.  Try changing your map projection to the following, and see
if it helps.  I also include the no_defs parameter in projection blocks
to avoid surprising default additions.

PROJECTION
   "proj=laea"
   "datum=WGS84"
   "lat_0=45"
   "lon_0=-100"
   "no_defs"
END

> ..>This tutorial I got from the mapserver web site which is
> <tutorial.zip>.
>
> ..>The command I type from the internet explorer is as follows:
>
> http://192.168.3.48/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/html/tutorial/example1-
> 1.map&mode=map
>
> ..>The error that I get is as follows:
>
> http://192.168.3.48/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/html/tutorial/example1-
> 1.map&mode=map

I wasn't able to access this error.  Is it behind a firewall?

Best regards,