[Mapserver-users] adding dynamic charts on the map

Eric Bridger eric at gomoos.org
Tue Jul 13 12:03:24 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 10:52, eric.belenfant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to add dynamic charts on a map generated with
> mapserver.
> I use mapscript, and i'm able to generate the pie charts for example
> from the datas which are in the .tab files (MAPINFO).
> But my problem is to add these charts at the right place on the chart.
> There could have lots of charts too.
> I heard that i could add these images as symbols but symbols are some
> predefined images and not dynamic or am i stupid ?
>
> Would anyone encountered this problem ???
>
> thanks
>
> eric

You are not stupid. What you want to do is very difficult to accomplish
dynamically.

I spent quite a bit of time looking into this at one time. Both for
dynamic pie charts and dynamic legends.  It's quite difficult and really
cannot be done completely dynamically. With my dynamic legends I wound
up generating them once (a large but finite set) and using a naming
scheme and a special symbol.sym file. Not really worth the effort.

With the pie charts we wound up just displaying circles on the map and
when the user clicks the circle we display a pie chart OFF the map in a
popup window.

See: http://www.gomoos.org/shrimp/  (Perl Mapscript)

Click one of the symbols to see the pie-charts.
Choose Time Series Maps to see the dynamic legends.