[Mapserver-users] adding dynamic charts on the map

eric.belenfant eric.belenfant at ac-orleans-tours.fr
Fri Jul 16 03:05:52 EDT 2004

Eric Bridger a écrit :

>On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 10:52, eric.belenfant wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm looking for a way to add dynamic charts on a map generated with
>>mapserver.
>>I use mapscript, and i'm able to generate the pie charts for example
>>from the datas which are in the .tab files (MAPINFO).
>>But my problem is to add these charts at the right place on the chart.
>>There could have lots of charts too.
>>I heard that i could add these images as symbols but symbols are some
>>predefined images and not dynamic or am i stupid ?
>>
>>Would anyone encountered this problem ???
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>eric
>>

>You are not stupid. What you want to do is very difficult to accomplish
>dynamically.
>
>I spent quite a bit of time looking into this at one time. Both for
>dynamic pie charts and dynamic legends.  It's quite difficult and really
>cannot be done completely dynamically. With my dynamic legends I wound
>up generating them once (a large but finite set) and using a naming
>scheme and a special symbol.sym file. Not really worth the effort.
>
>With the pie charts we wound up just displaying circles on the map and
>when the user clicks the circle we display a pie chart OFF the map in a
>popup window.
>
>See: http://www.gomoos.org/shrimp/  (Perl Mapscript)
>
>Click one of the symbols to see the pie-charts.
>Choose Time Series Maps to see the dynamic legends.

i like the example you gave me but i have some questions.

/With my dynamic legends I wound
//up generating them once (a large but finite set) and using a naming
scheme and a special symbol.sym file/

what do you mean exactly ?? the symbols are generated once a time for
all and then you have a naming convention you use in the symbol.sym file ?
Could i see your symbol.sym file and your mapfile ??

In my case i would like to display the pie charts and somme additional
informations like in the .wor files of mapinfo.
But i think mapserver is not the good way to do this.
Am i too pessimistic ???

eric

--
eric BELENFANT