[Mapserver-users] PHP Mapscript queries of GeoTiff Raster Data

Nate mistcat at mistcat.com
Wed Jul 21 11:46:01 EDT 2004

Dear List,

I had originally planned to post this message to the mailing list, but
thankfully both my first attempt bounced, and I ran into Sean Gillies on
IRC.  He provided the following link to answer my question:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RasterQuery

So the answer appears to be that Mapscript/Mapserver won't support raster
queries for one more version at least.  It also looks like "query by
rectangle" will quickly become the bane of all raster data queries. ;)

Thanks,
Nate

p.s. I'd like to put my vote out here for query by rectangle & query by
point in mapscript to take in non geo-referenced points (i.e. pixels) or
for a standardized helper function be implemented. (I.E. Convert pixel to
point)  It seems strange that one can zoom by pixel point, but not query by
pixel point, I'm guessing somewhere behind the scenes this sort of
conversion has already been coded.

My Original Question:
 >Hey Guys,
 >
 >Is it possible to query a GeoTiff Raster data layer using php
mapscript?  I've got a system that works well for polygon driven data, but
when I slap a geotiff in there I can't seem to query >anything.  I've read
the "Raster HowTo" but am still lost.