[Mapserver-users] WFS client howto

Gregor Mosheh stigmata at blackangel.net
Tue Jun 1 17:56:58 EDT 2004

> BTW: Did you set your MAP file with env variables or something similar so
> that you don't need to specify ?map= in the CONNECTION? Just checking.

Yep. Using a wrapper as described in the WMS docs.

> GML is a slow medium, and the generating and parsing will take quite some
> time, depending on the size of your dataset, possibly longer than 60
> seconds. Are you requesting the whole map (i.e. the whole dataset)?

Darn, that's exactly what I was writing up the details about. I can do a
query that covers a large geographic area, and the query runs in a second
or two, but it seems to be the GML and delivery layer that's taking the
rest of the time. WMS works A-OK and is reasonably fast, so I definitely
think you're right about it being the GML.

It does technically work (on the smaller datasets) but the delay of a few
minutes just won't work for our needs. Some of the data layers we were
hoping to serve out via WFS are expected to contain a lot of data in a
bbox, e.g. the city-points on a USA map, and street lines in a few square
miles of dense city. Is this just not feasible at this time?

Our WMS system works A-OK, although the rasters are often reprojected by
the client (we use DD for the datasets, LCC or a UTM is usually used for
the output) and so they come out looking al funky. That's what we were
really trying to avoid. Perhaps, if WFS won't work for these needs, a
solution could be found with WMS?