[Mapserver-users] EPSG codes

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jun 2 20:43:56 EDT 2004

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:

>Delfos, Jacob wrote:
>>
>>What would be the correct way of requesting an entry to be
>>added to the official EPSG? I tried to find out, but I
>>haven't been able to find a person in charge of that.
>>

> You may want to check with http://www.epsg.org/.  Having said this, I
> believe CubeWerx has reserved the 42xxx block of EPSG codes, of which
> 42304 is one of them.

The official EPSG codes are in the range 1-32767. Any codes above that,
including the 42xxx codes have nothing to do with epsg.org and are just
used in the context of OGC specs.  As Tom mentioned Cubewerx has
reserved the range 42100-42399 in this context at OGC for their own use,
but there is currently no mechanism that I know of at OGC to officially
define new codes. I have asked that same question before and eventually
just gave up.

BTW, with WMS 1.3.0 which is in the process of becoming an ISO standard,
some comments from the ISO committee have forced a move away from the
EPSG:xxxxx namespace and a new CRS:xxxx namespace has been created that
is fully controlled by OGC. There is an appendix on that in the WMS 1.3
spec.  Hopefully that will open the door to a registry of SRS codes
maintained by OGC, but we're not there yet. Anyone who is familiar with
WMS realizes that this is a quite radical change that will cause all
sorts of headaches to WMS implementors...

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca